Friday, April 19, 2013

Listen Up


                                    Photo of students not listening. http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read.php?40,982369,982369,quote=1

How do you get kids to listen to you?


For some, just stepping into the classroom is enough for them to understand it is time to pay attention. For many, this is not the case. These are the ones my student teacher is concerned about. Aren't we all?
Approaches may be as different as the kids you are addressing.

To begin with you need to set clear expectations. It's healthy for students to construct these with you. They need to have buy in and an understanding behind what will make the classroom an effective learning environment. There needs to be defined ways to enforce (by peers and/or the teacher) the agreed upon expectations. Clear communication alleviates the need for most students to test the boundaries. 

How do you get kids to HEAR you?

Photo: Students listening to teacher. http://www.evolveimages.com/media/b2b48c76-f694-11e0-b368-a57c07a8442b-high-school-students-listening-to-teacher

Oh, now this can be a different story.

Once you have a personal connection, you are no longer a noise but have a voice.


Some students can be intimidated into listen to you if you approach them with a sense of authority, but then they are doing so with a tint of resentment. Some still don't care. How do you reach these kids? Be authentic. Be who you are. Kids see though pretenses and respect you more if you are just who you are. Be that person inside they can relate to.  You don’t need to over disclose, but don't be afraid to be a little vulnerable, but keep clear boundaries.

One year I had an "informal leader" in my class that was gifted at taking the students in the down the rocky terrain of side tracked discussions. It was literally exhausting to try to reign in the class constantly. I had tried all of the "standard" tactics to manage behavior with varying degrees of inconsistant success. One day I took this student into the hall and our discussion sounded something like this:

"You have a special gift of leadership that can serve you well in the future. I'd like to help you hone those skills to work in your favor."
"Really?"
"Absolutely. Look how the class responds to your every word. Not everyone has that effect."
(Nod)
"I have a goal I'm trying hard to reach with this class. I want to be able to have a relaxed, productive environment where we can all enjoy learning and I was wondering if you could help me out."
"How?"
"I need you to be on my team, because if you are, I'm confidant we can all win."
"What do you mean?"
"You all have goals, things you want to be able to do in life. I'm one of those stepping stones along the path to your dreams. Let me be a big step and lift you as high as I can in the time that we're together...
Can you help me out?"
(Nod)
"Thanks."

The end result was the difference between night and day. This student felt appreciated and respected. He was now a "team" player and took that responsibility to heart. The culture of that class went from frazzled to functional simply with disclosure, respect and appreciation. It wasn't magic, but it sure felt like it. 


*Please post your thoughts and experiences that have impacted how you apply this aspect of classroom management.

2 comments:

  1. I have adopted the "idle hands are the devil's playground" approach in some of my more challenging classes. If I can keep students engaged from the moment they enter the classroom, I have a lot less fires to put out.

    I have bell ringers on the board as classes come in and the expectation is that when students enter the class, the learning starts. I can tell a huge difference when I'm late getting them up or change the routine. It takes me a lot longer to get momentum built in class and everyone on task. It also builds in time for attendance and housekeeping items while students work to start class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A proactive approach to classroom management is always best. Be organized, to timely, be purposeful, maintain your routine and most importantly be real. I teach because I love kids, science is secondary. Treat kids with respect. Respect their time. Respect their intellectual ability. Ensure that lessons are clearly articulated, meaningful and have a purpose. Make sure that the lessons you teach are well thought out with scope and sequence such that kids can see the natural progression and inter-relationship of concepts, ideas, current events and real life situations. Respect who they are as a person and all of the baggage they bring with them. Talk about it with them. Know the students as well or better than you know your own curriculum. When they have confidence and trust in you as an adult it is amazing what you can get them to accomplish.

    ReplyDelete